Re: Swing spring bashing -

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, bschwart@pacbell.net
Subject: Re: Swing spring bashing -
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 07:03:14 -0400
I have always wondered why the competition manual for the rotoflex rear
suspension said to convert to the swing spring.  Like you, I enjoy the
engineering aspects of suspensions and such.  Converting to a swing spring on a
four linked axle suspension like the rotoflex has does not make engineering
sense for this design, as I have understood the engineering.  Remember, the
ever popular Jaguar XKE rear suspension and the Corvette rear suspension, both
essentially identical to the rotoflex, do not use a swing spring.  Nor do the
competition cars with the same rear suspension.  Why Triumph recommended it I
do not understand.  Especially in light of their not recommending a rear
anti-sway or anti-roll bar.

It is absolutely true that a swing axle suspension like the Spitfire inherently
has a camber change problem, which includes wheel tuck or jacking, which ever
term you chose to use.  But a four linked axle suspension like the XKE or
rotoflex does not have this problem, and cannot have this problem.  Therefore,
the fix for a swing axle is not inherently correct for the rotoflex suspension.