Re: GT-6 Rear Suspension

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, jtones@home.com
Subject: Re: GT-6 Rear Suspension
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 06:40:14 -0400
In my opinion, those sheet metal brackets for mounting the lower wishbone are
*far* too weak.  I've stood out there and watched mine flex by just kicking the
tire!  It's certainly simple enough to box it, adding greatly to the strength.
Consider doing this up front to the lower A-arm brackets as well, and to the
sway bar mounts.  I've seen frames crack at these mount front and rear, and
seen the sway bar ripped out of the lower a-arm.

I am somewhat less concerned about the radius rod mounts in the body tub.
Though reinforcing this would not be a bad notion.  A slight increase in weight
would be the only penalty.

Much of this is dependent on the driving you do.  If all you do is drive gently
on nice surfaced roads, the oem stock design is adequate.  The harsher the
conditions, the less adequate it is.