Re: Maplight

To: francis@legacyvisions.com, HD883HUGGR@aol.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Maplight
From: "Dean Dashwood" <Dean.Dashwood@enron.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 10:14:46 +0100

Wayne and Scott,

Why not use some Velcro to hold the light in place?

Dean
----------------

Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 03:30:35 EDT
From: HD883HUGGR@aol.com

Wayne - FINALLY - something I know about!  The map light is a wonderful
technological breakthrough lights when extended and goes out when it's coiled
up... for about 2 months, and then this weird phenomenon called "gravity"
takes over and destroys the whole process.
    In other words: no on/off switch. Never was.
    Best solution (in my opinion) for resolving a constantly-illuminated map
light:
1) Cram a bunch of stuff in your glovetray area to wedge that sucker to the
underside of your dash (not recommended since there's no glovebox door and so
will make your car look messy, and it may not turn itself off anyway);
2) Cut the wire and wrap electrical tape around the end (also not recommended
because (a) then the light will not work at all, and (b) in about 2 years,
after you've forgotten all about it, the tape will fall off and the wire will
make contact with the metal parts of the dash, causing you to blow fuses
right and left or, if you're lucky, simply catch fire); or
3) Go to your local auto parts store and buy a $2.99 toggle switch to install
under the dash on the passenger side (not recommended if you want to keep
your car all-original, but works great if you don't mind a non-original hole
in your dash support).
    Sorry I can't be any more optimistic.  Perhaps one of the other listers
will have a better idea...
    Scott (and Hobbs, 77 Spit, daily driver, not all-original)