Re: Diff, O/D and Gearbox Oil Leaks, as well as loose cars

To: SpitfireKP@aol.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Diff, O/D and Gearbox Oil Leaks, as well as loose cars
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <dougnad@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 10:09:09 -0400
Buy a big assortment of Nyloc nuts, so you will be less tempted
to re-use them instead of replacing them.   Possibly a PO replaced
some Nylocs with ordinary nuts (e.g. the hood latches)?

Perhaps judicious usage of the medium strength Loctite compound would
help...

Finally, you can still get most of those little clips, etc. that hold
various things together and keep them from rattling.  A good parts
book (like the TRF Spit 1500 catalog or the Rimmer catalog) can help
you identify ones that have fallen off over the years, or that a lazy
PO took off and did not bother replacing.

On my car, I have tried to be meticulous about these sort of things,
and as a result I have had few problems due to stupid little things.

But then, my car has a operation/maintenance time ratio closer
to a jet airplane than a modern car  :-(

Doug Braun
'72 Spit

At 09:36 AM 6/12/00 -0400, SpitfireKP@aol.com wrote:

>And to comment on people's parts rattling around - Not only do those rattles
>drive me nuts, I am having some serious problems with things just vibrating
>off the car. I replace the screws on my hood latches every few months, because
>they vibrate out; I lost one of my muffler mount bolts on Friday; the car was
>leaking oil two weeks ago, and when I went to check it out, the bolts/screws
>that hold on the front plate for the engine were half way out; I lost the
>screw that stops the throttle return, and my car turns itself off at stop
>signs whenever the engine is cold --- All of this has happened in the 4 weeks
>since I got home from school! As for the rattles, I have found that the choke
>is helpful in diagnosing those problems - I pull it into the driveway, turn on
>the choke until the engine runs at the RPM that vibrates whatever is annoying
>me, and start grabbing (carefully) parts. I have found that aside from
>tightening things, metal parts vibrating against one another can cause !
a!