Re: Swing spring / camber compensator

To: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Subject: Re: Swing spring / camber compensator
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 07:13:19 -0700

Richard B Gosling wrote:

> While we are on the subject of swing spring suspension (at least we were a
>  couple of days ago), I have a question - If, with a swing spring rear set-up,
>  all the roll stiffness of the car is provided by the front springs and
>  anti-roll bar, how is it that it is the rear spring that is responsible for
>  the typical drivers-side sag seen on most Spitfires with elderly springs?

The roll stiffness only affects the action of the car in a turn.  The sagging
spring is something that is experienced all the time, and
typically caused by the weight distribution being slanted to the driver's side.

> More curiosity - How does the camber compensator work?  With all this
>  discussion of its relative merits, I could follow them a lot better if I knew
>  how it worked!

It works by  transferring the force of the loaded wheel in a turn to the
unloaded wheel, therefore keeping it from dropping and tucking
in.

> By the way, if this message gets through, it means that I have finally sorted
>  my message submission problem.  For all those who have forwarded messages to
>  the list on my belhalf over the last month or two - thanks!

Congratulations!

Joe