Re: Rally results

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rally results
From: "John & Judy Tones" <jtones@home.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 10:53:54 -0700
According to our local newspaper (Saturday, Victoria Times Colonist) the
rally is still alive and well although not without controversy.
 It appears that our Canadian team driving a 1938 Packard Super 8 are so far
in the lead that the officials are doing a very "in depth" scrutinizing of
the car looking for signs of cheating. The paper went on to say that they
have only collected 54 points for being late/early at the checkpoints while
the second place team was 2 hours and 9 mins. behind them. I gather that
something like senen cars have had to drop out so far. The only failure that
the Packard has suffered so far was a lost tailpipe!
The team consists of our local LBC guru Jim Walters and his partner Lennox
McNeely of Toronto and they spent about a year preparing the car, which I
think we all will have to agree is probably built as well as any tank ever
produced as far as brute strength is concerned.
They have a web site  http://atw.csp.net/ that gives a lot of details and
photos of the event.
The two of them are collecting pledges on behalf of the Lions Society of
British Columbia to send disabled children to summer camps.
Too bad that the rally route does not come my way as it would be something
to see for sure but then you people across the north-central/eastern states
can probably view them.

John Tones - Victoria BC