Electrical problem

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Electrical problem
From: SpitfireKP@aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 09:41:11 EDT
Though I am guessing that this is a pecularity to my car, I am wondering if
anyone else has experienced a similar problem and can lend some advice. For no
apparent reason, I developed a loose wire somewhere in the car. As a result,
whenever the car accelerated sharply in any direction (pulling out into
traffic, tuning quickly, etc.) the engine would lose spark and the engine would
sputter or stop. 5 or 10 seconds later, it would come back. In the meantime,
turning the key did nothing. I have had similar symptoms before, and it turned
out that the clamps had fallen off the distributor cap and it was bouncing
around on top of thr distributor. However, everything looks fine with the
distributor this time. Since I can only recreate the circumstances that cause
the problem when I am driving, I have been blindly tightening wires and pushing
on things under the dash while in my driveway. I have gotten whatever was loose
tight enough that it only loses spark very rarely, but the radio!
 turns itself on and off sporadically. Large shocks like driving over railroad
tracks won't phase it, but when I downshift or hit a very small bump, it will
turn off or on. It also gets worse when the car is hot. It is pretty darn
annoying, to say the least, and I am pulling my hair out because I have no idea
where to look to solve this. Any advice as to where I should look for this
loose wire?

~Kris Powell
1974 Spit 1500