Follow Up (was) removing fuel sender unit?

To: "Ree Gurley" <reegurley@mindspring.com>
Subject: Follow Up (was) removing fuel sender unit?
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 09:46:33 -0700
Thanks to those who responded to illustrate just how easy removing the fuel
sending unit can be.  Although there *was* a very small amount of fuel
inside the float itself, I determined that this was not the problem, since
moving the float arm to the position of maximum travel still left me with a
guage that read just over 1/8th of a tank full.  When I was cleaning the
guages recently, my fuel gauge came apart and the needle was slightly
tweaked.  I thought that I had put it all back together correctly -- and
indeed, when the power is off, the needle comes to full rest.

Examining the sending unit gave me the proof I needed that the guage itself
is a little off, due to my man-handling of the mechanism a few months ago.
I DO have a NOS gas guage coming, but quite frankly, I I'm not certain that
it will be necessary to install it.  What I did was to carefully bend back
the tab that acts as a stop for the float mechanism to allow it to travel
down a bit farther.  Now when the float is in its' lowest position, the fuel
guage correctly reads as empty.  I just hope that by doing this, I haven't
created a situation where the float simply rests on the bottom of the gas
tank before it can reach its' stop, thereby STILL indicating 1/8th of a tank
left when it fact it's bone dry.  I'll find out soon enough, I guess!

Best wishes,

Jeff in San Diego

'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
home of the NEW Totally Triumph Auction
and... The Triumph Autos/Parts Wanted Listings
http://www.ohms.com/cgi-bin/TRwanted.cgi
...plus a few other surprises!