Whew! Thought the engine blew!

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Whew! Thought the engine blew!
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 23:37:59 -0700
This evening, I took off in Mrs. Jones to run a couple of errands.  The car
is really running great sine my major tune up recently.  No choke required
upon startup anymore!  And the engine fires up within a second of turning
the key.  Wow!  On the way home, I was winding up in 2nd gear and suddenly,
the engine quit.  I thought "oh great"!  and pulled over to the side of the
road.  I tried starting the car back up.  The engine was turning over -- the
battery was strong.  The engine just wouldn't start!  Fortunately, the first
thing I checked was the problem.

Before heading into Home Depot to pick up some stuff, I removed the rotor
and took it with me.  I replaced it correctly, but must not have shoved it
down far enough on the distributor shaft, because the thing flew off inside
the distributor cap!  No damage done.  I just pressed the rotor back into
place on the shaft and drove back home without further incident.  Lesson for
today, class:  If you remove your rotor as an anti-theft deterrent, be sure
to REALLY put it back on right!  I was a little embarrassed -- but greatly
relieved that that's all it was!

Best wishes,

Jeff in San Diego

'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
home of the NEW Totally Triumph Auction
and... The Triumph Autos/Parts Wanted Listings
http://www.ohms.com/cgi-bin/TRwanted.cgi
...plus a few other surprises!