RE: Dash restoration

To: spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Dash restoration
From: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Date: 21 Jun 2000 04:43:34 -0500
Thanks to all of you (Michael, Graham, Mike, Philip, John, Scott, Sujit, Tom,
 Steph, Greg - God, there's a lot of you helpful guys out there!) who have
 advised me on how to improve my dash.

I reckon the veneer is OK, it is just the lacquer that is dodgy.  So, combining
 the best of all advice, my plan is -
1 - Try and remove the old lacquer with a heat gun (only because I have one, so
 it is cheaper than buying stripper!)
2 - If that fails, remove the old laquer with chemical stripper
3 - Lightly sand (by hand, not machine, going along the grain) with 320 grit
 just to smooth the surface - being careful not to go through the veneer
4 - Coat the back and sides with teak oil
5 - Apply 4-5 coats of water-based polyurethane - someone advised that it dried
 quicker than oil-based, so I can do more than one coat in an evening - using a
 foam brush.

I have seen some advice suggesting sanding with wet wet'n'dry paper (1600-2000
 grit) between each coat.  Since Daffy is a long way from perfect inside anyway
 (torn, stained seats, door trims not too well attatched, foam poking out of
 the arm-rest) I am not attempting perfection, just an improvement that will
 cost me very little, so would the wet'n'dry make a lot of difference?  If not,
 I probably won't bother, life is too short!

Does this plan seem sound to everyone?  If so, I'll go ahead and get back to
 you in a week with the results!

Richard and Daffy