Tonneau cover - fits!

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Tonneau cover - fits!
From: "Dean Dashwood" <Dean.Dashwood@enron.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 17:43:11 +0100

Listers,

You may recall that I recently purchased a tonneau cover from Prestige Auto Trim
(http://www.prestigeautotrim.com) which didn't fit propertly.  At the time, I
said I'd update the list - well, here's the update.

I phoned Prestige and explained the problem.  The gentleman I spoke to asked me
to return the cover to him, with a letter describing exactly what the problem
was.  I did as he asked, and after a little over two weeks had not heard
anything, so decided to call back.  I spoke to the same gentleman again, who
told me that my new cover would be with me in two days.  Now since this was
delivered by 2-day delivery, this meant that he was about to put it in the post
that day.  I was very suspicious, and expected to receive exactly the same item
as I had returned, still not fitting correctly, two days later.  I was therefore
very surprised when my cover turned up, and actually fitted the car!

The letter which I had sent was very detailed, and could conceivably have
contained enough details for them to modify the cover they sent me so that it
fitted.  Or, alternatively, there could have been a defect in my original cover,
and they could have sent me another one without this defect.

Curious to find out which was the case, I tried another club member's tonneau
cover on my car, and found that it had exactly the same problems as the original
tonneau cover I had been sent.  It seems as if my car is a slightly odd shape,
and that a "standard" tonneau cover won't quite fit.  But Prestige managed,
based on my written descriptions of what the problems were, to modify the cover
sufficiently that it now fits - not perfectly, but certainly well enough that
I'm happy with it.

So, to sum up my experiences of Prestige.  Their customer service level, as I
said in my previous post, leaves a little to be desired.  I still feel that 2
weeks is a long time to wait for delivery of an item within the UK, and the
people I've spoken to on the phone, although polite, are far from friendly.  And
when I returned my cover, I would have appreciated a call to confirm that it had
been received, and that they were able to modify it, rather than me having to
call them.

However, the product they have supplied, and the fact that they were able to
adapt this to my rather unusual car, were excellent.  It remains to be seen how
the cover stands up to the tests of time, but certainly the quality of the
material seems to be extremely high.  So much so, in fact, that I when I noticed
a couple of tears in the seems of my soft-top, I considered ordering a new one
from Prestige.  I haven't made a decision on this yet (too much else to do, and
no time or money), but I would definitely recommend Prestige if quality of the
product is more important to you than quality of service, or fast turnaround
times.

Dean

PS - Left the tonneau cover on last night, even though the forecast was light
rain, just to see what would happen.  Came outside this morning and found the
top of the tonneau cover (as well as everything else) damp, but the inside of
the car perfectly dry - that's a good sign!