Re: 'L.A.-it's not such a bad place!' (was-Anti-Thief Device reply (long

To: OHFASTONE@aol.com
Subject: Re: 'L.A.-it's not such a bad place!' (was-Anti-Thief Device reply (longish))
From: Laura.G@141.com (Laura Gharazeddine)
Date: Fri, Jun 23 2000 2:13:16 GMT-0600
With 3 1/2 million people here, our
>crime rate isn't bad.  If others do not wish to come here this is fine too as
>we might not appreciate what they bring.

Right on!

I love L.A. and have felt safer wandering around by myself than I have felt in
a much smaller town-say...Santa Ana? (Ask me sometime about being chased by the
guy with a broken bottle at 3pm in front of Bowers Musuem! Scaaaaary stuff!)

And when I see people on the news saying-for example- how they're scared here
because of earthquakes I say fine-leave! We don't need you here anyway.

When I was going to high school back in the 70's in Colorado Springs, a friend
of the family was a police captain there and would tell us of all the horrible
things that never got in the papers there-the crime rate per capita was sooo
high! (I hope it's better now!) When I lived in Arizona and I saw hate crimes
that were considered just youthful hijinks-I really missed California. Yet,
friends from these places can't see how I can choose to live here-and love it.
True, it's not the same place it was 40 years or so ago (what is?) but it's
still a wonderful, exciting, reasonably tolerant of people who are different,
and beautiful place. Like I said before, I LOVE L.A.!

I've lived in large European cities where American tourists are afraid to go
because they think they're going to be robbed and murdered. (I guess they've
never heard about German tourists in Miami!) And what I've told these clients
are there are dangers and drawbacks in every city-you just have to know where
to go and how to behave-common sense really. And the same holds true of L.A.

Anyway, come and enjoy California and L.A. with us-but if you're going to whine
and snivel about a little old 4.0 earthquake, or be hateful to those who are
differnt from you- maybe you should stay home. We'll be just fine without you.
(And eat your hearts out in February when it's a balmy and beautiful 60o here!)

I LOVE L.A.!

Laura G. (I even wrote a poem to the Hyperion Bridge! Another to old
California.)