Re: Women on this list

To: "Simmons, Reid W" <reid.w.simmons@intel.com>, <Laura.G@141.com>,
Subject: Re: Women on this list
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 09:38:40 -0700
Hi Reid,

Here's my theory: I think it's probably due to the fact that the Internet is
still a male-dominated entity in terms of overall use.  I mean no
disrespect, just quoting statistics I heard recently, but I'm sure that as
time goes on the gap will tighten commensurately.  Additionally, this list
is populated by and large by do-it-yourselfer's and/or very passionate
owners of Spitfires that have others perform their maintenence and repairs.
This would further whittle down the number of women who would participate
since at least two of the three mentioned (at least to my knowledge) have
others work on their cars for them and I'm assuming (I know, I know!) that
most women would prefer to not work on cars in general (I said most, not
all!).  Laura, Susie and Susan are SO passionate about their love for their
Spitfires that they have leaped over the traditional boundries to share
their zeal for these cool little cars and I think that's great.  I would
suspect that you'd find similar ratios of women to men on a great many other
car lists.  But I could be very wrong.  There's always the chance that there
are a handful of other gals out there that simply don't post much, but read.
For instance, I know that I inadvertently smoked one out when another lister
was referring to my passionate affair with "Mrs. Jones".  Mrs. "Elizabeth"
Jones and perhaps her husband, were both a bit alarmed when they first read
the post.  I still laugh when I think about it.

Best wishes,

Jeff in San Diego

'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
home of the NEW Totally Triumph Auction
and... The Triumph Autos/Parts Wanted Listings
http://www.ohms.com/cgi-bin/TRwanted.cgi
...plus a few other surprises!