Re: Re: Women on this list (Women on the Internet)

To: jmcneal@ohms.com
Subject: Re: Re: Women on this list (Women on the Internet)
From: Laura.G@141.com (Laura Gharazeddine)
Date: Mon, Jun 26 2000 10:59:35 GMT-0600
>Here's my theory: I think it's probably due to the fact that the Internet is
>still a male-dominated entity in terms of overall use.  I mean no
>disrespect, just quoting statistics I heard recently, but I'm sure that as
>time goes on the gap will tighten commensurately.

Hmmm...I'm on a couple of other lists where it seems pretty evenly divided
between men and women (and the people who run those lists are women.) I must
say though, that it seems that the women I encounter on the Internet tend to be
about 10 years younger than me-yearly to mid thirties. I have a whole group of
girlfriends (mostly in their late twenties)from the 'real' world-and we all
keep in touch online.

In my cyber sailing group-started by a man-it seems pretty evenly
divided-though the ones who regularly show up for chat are mostly women.

Now, I must say that in my Triumph club ('real life')-it's mostly men-and the
wives are along for...what? Sometimes I can't figure that one out! There's
really only 3 or 4 of us women who are there because _we're_ the active member!

It seems strange to think that the Internet is a mostly male arena-my 'real'
life is so male dominated-even though it was this core group of (younger) women
who originally got me started!

>This would further whittle down the number of women who would participate
>since at least two of the three mentioned (at least to my knowledge) have
>others work on their cars for them and I'm assuming (I know, I know!) that
>most women would prefer to not work on cars in general

I _Have_ worked on my cars in the past. When I had a place to work on it and
the tools to do it with. (I was also the family mechanic when my father-who was
an automotive engineer-wasn't home. I've spent many an hour at the salvage
yard!) I no longer have anyplace or any tools. -But-
I know what's what. In Italy, I test drove cars for a dealer friend because I
am good at sorting out. And I've been wrong with Nigel only once.(But no one
couls figure that one out! At least I was close!)

There's a woman in our club who has a TR250, a TR3 and a Morgan. When asked of
she works on her own cars she replied, 'I can and I have-but I don't anymore.
Unless I have too.' My feelings. If I had a place to do it-that would be
different.

>Laura, Susie and Susan are SO passionate about their love for their
>Spitfires that they have leaped over the traditional boundries to share
>their zeal for these cool little cars and I think that's great.

It's funny, but it seems that most of the people I meet who tell me they used
to have a Spitfire and 'gosh, I miss that car!' have been women! It gives me
hope for the future that when I go to shows or are on the street, so many
little girls want one when they get bigger. (This is how I started!)

I would
>suspect that you'd find similar ratios of women to men on a great many other
>car lists.  But I could be very wrong.  There's always the chance that there
>are a handful of other gals out there that simply don't post much, but read.

I think that women in general have a heavier load than most men. Especially
women of a certain age-they're wives, mothers, business women, and
homemakers-all at the same time! I know that if I were married or had kids, I
probably wouldn't have the time to be as involved as I am. I'd be exhausted!
And I think that that is why there tends to be less women using the
Internet-women are very, very busy and over-extended!

Laura G.