Thanks for help on Clutch Problem

To: Spitfire <spitfires@autox.team.net>, Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Thanks for help on Clutch Problem
From: Roger Elliott <relliott@cjnetworks.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 23:10:17 -0500
Hi,

About 10 days ago, I wrote in asking for help figuring out clutch
problems on a 1980 Spitfire.  (It would neither completely disengage or
engage so I crunched gears trying to shift and it slipped when I tried
to go over 60).

I received lots of suggestions as to what to check out.

In no particular order:
1)  Pivot pin
2) Taper pin
3) throwout bearing pivot broke.
4) Pressure plate springs - fingers
5) Oil on clutch disc.

I had hoped that it was not the clutch as it is not real old 20 - 30,000
which seems awfully earlier for a clutch to die.

Any way I pulled the transmission yesterday.  When I got it out I could
see that the pressure plate fingers were pointed in towards the
flywheel  instead of out.

There is also a pretty deep groove around the fingers, which surprised
me as I have never heard noise from the throwout bearing and it seems to
spin freely.

In a way I guess I am glad that I had to pull the transmission as I have
a nonworking OD.  I thought it might be electrical - it isn't.  So I
have a friend that is going to sort that out for me, so I should have a
working OD again by the time I put it back in.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice and suggestions.

So I am going to replace the clutch set up with a new Borg and Beck
unit. While the transmission is out I am also planning to lighten the
flywheel.  I think I saw a reference recently to instructions for how to
lighten the flywheel, but I haven't been able to find it on ListQuest.
Any suggestions (no I don't want to buy an aluminum one).

Roger Elliott
80 Spitfire.