Re: oil pan cap screwed part II

To: ckigar@sound.net
Subject: Re: oil pan cap screwed part II
From: Cwn74@aol.com
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 00:00:06 EDT
I suspect what you saw on your bolt was not a helicoil, but the aluminum of
the threads in the block plate you stripped out.  Been there, done that...

I think the bolts that go into the aluminum plates in the front and back of
the engine are different than those that go into the cast iron block.  Just a
vague remembrance, but they may be shorter so that they don't hit/bottom on
the main bearing cap which would cause the installer to tighten more and
strip out the threads....

Good luck!
Clark

"If it's not fun, why do it?" Ben & Jerry
Clark W. Nicholls
CWNicholls@aol.com
http://members.aol.com/CWNicholls
fax: 419-844-7564 (yes, 419)