Spitfire Six springs (the story problem)

To: "spitfires@autox.team.net" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spitfire Six springs (the story problem)
From: "Michael D. Nugent, Ph.D." <nugentmd@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 15:55:24 -0700
NOTE:  This is not an invitation to renew the endless debate about which
design is superior - we've done that.  I would like the group's input on
spring choices I need to make, though.

My goals:
1) No worse ride than a stock Spitfire (this car will not see
competition so ultimate handling is not a concern - besides, we're OLD),
and
2) front ride height the same as the rear (a lot of Spitfires appear to
sit about 1.5" lower in the rear).

Parts I have to choose from:
Front coils from either the '68 Spitfire or the '73 GT6, and either a
rear leafspring from the '68 Spitfire or rear swingspring from the '73
GT6.  The GT6 front swaybar will be used regardless, as will aluminum
wheels.

My thoughts:
1) The Spitfire coils aren't designed for the weight of the GT6 engine,
so the front would ride lower with them and the ride would be softer
(both okay by me as long as it doesn't bottom out on speed bumps).
2) The GT6 swingspring might be too stiff for the lighter Spitfire body,
so the Spitfire leafspring seems to be preferable (if the early spring
is used, it would supplemented with a camber compensator for safety).

My questions:
1) Are there any known problems with using the Spitfire coils on the
front of a Spitfire 6?
2) Is there any difference in eye-to-eye length of the early Spitfire
leaf spring versus the post-Rotoflex GT6 swingspring?  The reason I'm
asking is that if they are different lengths, I'd get different amounts
of camber (a shorter length spring would pull the wheel upright tops
inward).  I realize there is a difference in axle lengths, but my
understanding is that any axle length can be used with any spring type.

Out of bounds:
I know I can buy adjustable spring perch Spax shocks for $300 which
would let me dial in front ride height, but I'd rather not if there is a
less expensive alternative.  Similarly, I know I can have new springs
made (or the current ones modified) to my specs, but I wouldn't know
what specs I want, so let's not go there, either.  And finally, I weigh
about 230 (consider that a given), and my wife (with her necessary
stuff, her "might need it" stuff, and her "as long as there's room"
stuff) adds another 140.  Assume standard temperature and barometric
pressure. . . .

Given all that, whatchathink?

--
Mike