Re: Coil voltage vs plug gap

To: "spitfires@autox.team.net" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Coil voltage vs plug gap
From: "alemen@pop.ftconnect.com" <alemen@pop.ftconnect.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 15:54:06 -0400
Nolan every bhp helps on the current stock engine. 5-10 bhp on a Neon is
probably 2.5-5 bhp on a Spitfire if you assume similar percentage improvement.
Since this is a brand new oil filled coil it hopefully will take the extra
heat. It supposed to be designed for it. Also I have everything else replaced
on the ignition side but for the old Allison and that goes shortly, so it's all
ready for the higher voltages etc.

Interesting comment on the plugs though. The PO had the Bosch platinum and I
was having problems with them I put in the OE (Champion RN12YC from memory) and
she runs better. My local mechanic who tuned the car for DEQ here, said that
the Champion ones were better for the car.

It's all a start on minor upgrades to improve the overall performance. Exhaust
is next in a couple of months all going well (still not got all the info on
which is best Monza vs Rimmer vs other dual pipe plus corresponding headers
4-2-1 - research ongoing), then carbureter (twin SU if I can get them in UK or
Weber DGV here if not, most likely) but need to keep her relatively clean for
emissions here so probably cannot go for a mild cam as yet.

Alan