Re: adjusting the konis

To: "Ron Roach" <rroach@direct.ca>
Subject: Re: adjusting the konis
From: Dave Chu <dave@ece.concordia.ca>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 16:10:07 -0400

In message <000301bfe2b7$abc0e020$4b8e42d8@roach>you write:

>Thanks for the info on oiling those trunnions, everyone.  Now, can I adjust
>these shocks by jacking up the front susp. and then undoing the bottom shock
>mount, or does the whole assembly need to be taken off, and then the spring
>compressed?  i don't know if the shock is adjusted from the top or bottom.
>These are the old style "red" konis, where you turn the whole outer casing
>to adjust it.

  Hi Ron, the older Koni shocks which I also happen to own, have to be
  removed from the car inorder to adjust them.  The spring will also have
  to come off.  With the shocks out of the car, the springs and the rubber
  bummper (inside the shock to prevent bottoming out), you can now adjust
  them.

  You will have to push (or compress) the shock all the way down.  Since
  you don't know what your current setting is, you should then turn shock
  counter clock wise untill it will not go any further and keep count of
  the number of indents that you feel.  This will bring the shock to its
  softest setting.  Now, you can turn it clock wise and count the numbers
  of indents that you feel for firmer settings.  Do the same for the other
  shock.

Dave                                                  |\ |     | |
Dave Chu                                 \/  \/       | /|     | |
Dept. of Elec. & Comp. Eng.                           |/ |     | |
Concordia University              Voice:(514)848-3115   Fax:(514)848-2802
1455 de Maisonneuve W. H961       Email:dave@ece.concordia.ca
Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3G 1M8  http://www.ece.concordia.ca/~dave/addr.html