specification questions

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: specification questions
From: "Donald H. Locker" <dhl@chelseamsl.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 12:56:49 -0400
Hi, Listers.

I'm in the process of rebuilding/reassembling my '69 Spit and have
some questions:

1.  Are the driveshaft flange bolts to be grade 8?  I assume so, but
    don't want to get into any trouble.  Looks like 5/16-24 should
    fit, right?  And though I don't want the flanges to rust together,
    I don't want to put anti sieze on them.  Suggestions?

2.  What are the modern "Approved Mastics" for sealing clutch and
    brake M/C and pedal bracketry to the scuttle.  Is Eastwood's
    brushable seam sealer appropriate or should I be looking for
    something else.

3.  Outer rear brake pipes look (from VickyBrit and Rimmer catalogues)
    like they should have double flares on both ends, and the hose
    should have mating ends on each end.  The hoses I got only have
    flare seat on one end, other end is straight thread for
    copper-washer seal to caliper or cylinder.  Do I have the wrong
    hoses or the wrong picture?

4.  An offer -- I picked up a hundred EPDM O-rings for repairing my
    PDWA (DCO damaged one of the old ones) so I have 98 left.  These
    fit the early PDWA (with screw seals on both ends) and though they
    are round cross section should work as well as square section
    rings, especially if your square section rings are rotted or
    broken.  If you would like a pair of them, send an SASE to me with
    the notation O-ring on the outside of the envelope, and I'll post
    them back.  No charge, it's not worth it.

Many thanks in advance,
Donald.

17 Hickory Dr.
Chelsea MI  48118 9417  USA