Re: Side light rubbers & reconditioning

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Side light rubbers & reconditioning
From: "Terry L. Thompson" <tlt@digex.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 15:01:58 -0400
I agree. Those look like the flat based side marker gaskets that have a
uniform lip all the way around the perimeter of the lens/reflector (they are
all the same uniform part number) that are used on Midgets (Which are
obtainable as new). The Spitfire side marker rubbers have a bevel in both
directions so that if you placed it on the floor the outer lip would look
like a door stop wedge that had a significant lean to the left or the right.
The spitfire ones are only interchangable as in: the front left one could be
used as the rear right and vise versa, or the rear left one could be used as
the front right one and vise versa.

I have two of these new midget side marker gaskets and I don't like the way
they look at all (even though the rubber is fresh and elastic).  I recently
bought a set of original ones that weren't dry rotted yet atleast from
another list member.

Yes, I got them Ed.

Since the subject has been broached, is there any way to recondition rubber
to prevent it from becoming dry rotted? The side markers I have, though not
cracked and dry rotted yet, do seem to be a bit hard and on the verge of
brittle.

-Terry