Spit 6 conversion

To: "'Spitfires@autox.team.net'" <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spit 6 conversion
From: Ben Bacon <Ben@HEI-KC.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 10:05:16 -0500
Well as a few on the list know, I spent the 4th of July weekend doing a
engine swap on my spitfire.  As this is my primary means of transportation,
it HAD to be running by the 5th of July. I was using an engine out of a 69
GT-6.  After a very long and very hot three days, I have completed the
transplant and I can say that the operation was a success.   Here is my Top
Ten list of things anyone contemplating a Spit 6 conversion need to know.

1.      A GT6 engine can not be installed in a Spitfire with both the bonnet
and fan installed.
2.      Yes one person can install a GT6 engine into a spitfire by himself,
barely.  Two people are recommended however.
3.      You really need to inspect the exhaust manifold and verify that all
matting surfaces are clean and FLAT.  It's also         really handy to have
an extra exhaust manifold to    replace the old on the engine with the worn
flange.
4.      It takes about 2-1/2 hours to replace the @#$%@ exhaust manifold
with a good one.
5.      Having the engine start up after a few seconds is a very good
feeling.
6.      Seeing gas pouring from the rear carburetor is not a good feeling.
Yes you can move fast when you must.
7.      Just because the choke cables worked on the GT6 does not mean that
they will fit or work on a spitfire.
8.      It is important that you verify that the threads (in both ports) on
the slave cylinder you just rebuilt are good and not stripped.  It's also
really handy to have a few extra        slave cylinders in various
conditions around.
9.      The drive shafts for the spitfire and gt6 may look the same length,
but the GT6 drive shaft is at least a 1/2" longer.
10.     Even a rebuilt engine will leak some oil.

Needless to say I had way too much fun over the holidays.  But I did drive
it into work yesterday and today.  A very nice improvement in pickup.

I do have a few questions for the list.

First, Is it possible to change one choke cable to a longer one without
replacing the entire unit.
Second, The tranny is shifting fairly well going up the gears but grinds the
gears about 70-80 percent of the time when I down shift.  Clutch seems to
disengage.  I assume this may be the synchro's needing work.  Any thoughts.
I do have another 4 speed tranny of unknown condition that I can try.

Also, I now have a very good 1500 engine and 4 speed tranny for sale.  This
is a California engine of 78-79 vintage, in drop in an run condition.  The
emissions equipment has been removed by a PO.   Anyone in need of one please
contact me off list.  I live near Kansas City.

Ben Bacon
79 Spit6 (daily driver)