RE: Spit 6 conversion

To: "'Michael Nugent'" <nugentmd@gte.net>
Subject: RE: Spit 6 conversion
From: Ben Bacon <Ben@HEI-KC.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 12:57:43 -0500
I though I could do the complete swap in 2 days, ended up taking 3 1/2 by
the time all the bugs were worked out.  I also had to swap out the Speedo
and tach as the gt6 Speedo cable is not compatible with the later slip-on
connector on the 79 Speedo.  The tach needed to be changed as the 79
spitfire tach was electric and  calibrated for the 4 cylinder.  The gt6 uses
a direct drive off the distributor.  The bolts on the exhaust header, both
the lower manifold bolts and the front exhaust pipe bolt are just loads of
fun to get at in 95 degree heat.

Things I still need to do include;
fix the oil leak at the front of the engine (my fault there)
lean the carbs out more, as they still run rich.
fix the choke cables (need to do this before I fix the carb's though)
fit new air deflectors at the front of the radiator. (Although the engine
runs the same or cooler then the 1500)
fix or replace the tranny gear grinding problem.
Replace the 3.89 rear end with the GT6 3.27 rear end (in two weeks while the
wife is at her sisters for a few days)