Re: yay!

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: yay!
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <dougnad@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 23:51:44 -0400
Mine was leaking, and I replaced the little O-ring
deep inside the dashpot that seals the bottom end, there the adjustable
needle is mounted.  It helps to have a detailed diagram
of the Stromberg carb when you do this, and there are a couple of tricks
to make it easier.

Unfortunately, it still leaked almost as much afterwards.
I think moisture settles down at the bottom of the
dashpot and corrodes the place
where the O-ring seats.  Maybe if you stuffed a bit of
some sort of oil-resistant putty or caulking down there, it would
plug the leaks, and still allow the needle to be adjusted.
Or maybe a drop of automatic transmission leak sealer?
This stuff apparently swells up rubber seals to they leak less
(for a while at least).

I just kept filling it up every few days.  Get an
old-fashioned pump-style oil can to make it easier.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit