Thermostat?

To: spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Thermostat?
From: "T. .R. Dafforn" <td214@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 09:43:19 +0100
I know that the cooling prblems are usually centred around over-heating
but I have an over-cooling problem!!!
First drive in april after 2 1/2 year resoration. temperature rockets to
hot, I get worried, then drops down to its old position, half way.
Situation stays like this for the next 3 months...
finally loosing all worries about overheating...
drive the car last night. temperature will not reach half way, but
instead moves up and down between less than 1/4 and less than 1/2. Car
runs like a dog.
only difference is that I have refitted the heater valve. open, engine
gets colder, closed car engine gets hotter.
Looks like a classic case of thermostat stuck open, am I right?
thanks for any help
Cheers
Tim
PS any UK listers had any experience geting a thermostat from a local
motor-factor. do they stock them, or am I going to have to drive to TRGB

--
Tim Dafforn
Structural Medicine

Tel. (01223) 336829