Re: An Experiment

To: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <dougnad@bellatlantic.net>
Subject: Re: An Experiment
From: Patrick Baize <speedracre@netzero.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 19:52:08 -0500
I have a Stromburg on my 74. Runs well.

In the morning the engine is cold, so I drive Normal.

When I leave work , I don't need to use the choke cause the motor is still
warm. 95 - 100 here in Texas

When I first start off leaving work. There is a definate noticable power
increase.  After about 15 minutes when everything warms up . I actually
notice that the car has less power.

I think I'll add a cold air intake. See what happens.

Perhaps I need to use a stop watch and see what my 0 to 40 is.

Pat

Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou wrote:

> I have twin SUs, and I have been using stock filters without
> any additional housing.  I was wondering if it would be worth the trouble
> to install the filter housing and the air hoses that go from the
> housing to the front of the engine compartment.
>
> Obviously the goal of this stuff is to get cooler air to
> the carbs.  So I took an indoor-outdoor thermometer, with
> the temperature sensor at the end of a wire, taped the
> sensor to one of the air filters, and drove around
> for a while.
>
> Here are the results:
>
> Outdoor air temp:  80 deg. F.
> Air temp at air filter when driving 30-40 MPH:  102.5 deg. F.
> Air temp after idling 5 minutes:  135 deg. F.
>
> My conclusions:  It's not really worth installing this stuff to
> get 22 degree cooler intake air.   But it would definitely
> improve the idle.  After idling for a minute or so,
> the engine starts running rougher.
>
> BTW, I have un-wrapped headers, which certainly emit more heat than
> the stock manifold.
>
> Doug Braun
> '72 Spit

Request a CDROM  1-800-333-3633