An Experiment

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: An Experiment
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <dougnad@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 15:07:26 -0400
I have twin SUs, and I have been using stock filters without
any additional housing.  I was wondering if it would be worth the trouble
to install the filter housing and the air hoses that go from the
housing to the front of the engine compartment.

Obviously the goal of this stuff is to get cooler air to
the carbs.  So I took an indoor-outdoor thermometer, with
the temperature sensor at the end of a wire, taped the
sensor to one of the air filters, and drove around
for a while.

Here are the results:

Outdoor air temp:  80 deg. F.
Air temp at air filter when driving 30-40 MPH:  102.5 deg. F.
Air temp after idling 5 minutes:  135 deg. F.

My conclusions:  It's not really worth installing this stuff to
get 22 degree cooler intake air.   But it would definitely
improve the idle.  After idling for a minute or so,
the engine starts running rougher.

BTW, I have un-wrapped headers, which certainly emit more heat than
the stock manifold.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit