engine refit problem - oil pan cap screwed part...iv

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: engine refit problem - oil pan cap screwed part...iv
From: "Chip Kigar" <ckigar@sound.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 22:01:56 -0500
A week ago, I removed the engine from my car as the left from oil pan cap
screw hole was stripped, and, as this was a through passage way to the sump,
the absence of a good tight bolt could (did) lead to a oil hemorrhage.  The
piece at the front of the engine is aluminum and I drilled and tapped it too
the next size up.  I used a stud with loktite (red) on it and the other
hole, then replaced the oil pan.

Well, as I lacked a proper engine hoist (and the $200 to get one), I used a
come-along hooked to a conveniently placed I-beam in my garage.  I fit the
engine back in over the weekend.  I had to use long bolts to pull the engine
plate to the bell housing but it did bolt up ok.  Is it the case that it
would not slip easily into place as I was compressing the pressure plate?

Well, here is my problem now:

The engine seems to be sitting about 1/2" too far forward.  The front engine
mounts just don't seem to line up well at all.  Did I somehow move the
tranny forward?  Any recommendation on how to get it right?

As a final comment, I found (thanks listers) several good recommendations
and a product from loktite that certainly would have been worth trying as an
alternative to the mess I seem to have found my way into. Anyway, it's been
a learning experience.  My wide says she likes my hobby as it keeps me off
the streets ;(

Chip