Re: engine refit problem - oil pan cap screwed part...iv

To: ckigar <ckigar@sound.net>, spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: engine refit problem - oil pan cap screwed part...iv
From: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Date: 11 Jul 2000 10:08:31 -0500
Chip,

>From my memory of my recent g/box replacement, the mounting bracket for the
 g/box is slotted, allowing a certain amount of fore/aft movement.  It is
 therefore quite possible that, during the removal of the engine, the gearbox
 was pulled forward a little - with enough force I'm sure it could be moved,
 even with the bolts done up tight.  You will probably need to remove the
 transmission tunnel to loosen the nuts, and re-tighten them afterwards,
 although it can be done from underneath the car - I had to, as I had no help,
 so even though my tunnel was removed I had to reach up from below to stop the
 bolt turning with the nut I was tightening.  My hands still bear the remains
 of the scars...

Once you have loosened the bolts, I have no idea how you will pursuade the
 whole thing to move backwards.  With the weight of the engine supported it
 might just push back.  Then again, it might not...  Maybe long bolts through
 the engine mounts will help pull it into position?

Richard and Daffy