Re: Fuel slosh (and EFI spitfire 1600) [long]

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fuel slosh (and EFI spitfire 1600) [long]
From: rfm@collectivecomputing.com (Reed)
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 14:01:51 -0700
Tony Gordon wrote:

> Reed,
>
> I'd like to know more about your project - please email me off list with
> info on PI for a spit; I'm intrigued!

A few people have asked, so I'll reply to the whole list....

In short, I cheated. ;-p

I used a complete '91 Nissan GA16DE motor, from a sentra. It's a 1600cc
double overhead cam, multi port EFI, 16 valve etc. Converted to rear
drive, by using a Datsun 210 five speed and plenty of elbow grease.
Certainly not a bolt in swap.
        Nissan claims 110hp and 108ft/lb stock, which is coincidently
about what was claimed for the GT6. The nissan motor probably
weighs the same or less than the stock spit 1500, so it doesn't get
the front heavy that a spit 6 would.
        It looks totally stock from the outside, but making that happen
involved moving the main crossmember forward, relocating the battery to
the trunk, cutting out some of the battery box, modifying the firewall,
making a custom trans cover and so on. About 6 months of after work and
weekends to install (I've never done this kind of thing before)
        Because the motor was originally intended for front wheel
drive use, some of the accessories come out in awkward places. The
distributor sticks off the back into the heater inlet, and the air
intake comes out where the battery used to be (at what is now
the back of the motor). Right now it just sucks air from under
the hood, but I'm thinking about putting in some hood vents like on
the factory lemans cars. The right side would be cold air intake,
and the left would allow some of the underhood heat to escape.

One of these days I'll have pictures on the net...

Carter Shore wrote:
>Are you using the Ford external pump that was used on
>some Ford trucks?
I'm not totally sure. It was 'just laying around the garage' I think
it is the same pump that is used on the 80s Thunderbird turbo coups.
Its an aluminum cylinder about four inches long with a hose
at each end. Produces about 50 psi, which is right for many multiport
systems.
The reasons I'm using it are: It was there, produces the right
pressure and plenty of volume for my motor, and is mounted externally.
It is also a rotary style pump, so it doesn't make that horrible
clack clack that some bosch pumps do.
Although many cars use them, I've never really like the idea
of an in tank pump.

> I'm also interested in learning more about your FI
> project, since I'm fitting an EEC-IV from an Escort to
> my 1500. Would you mind sharing?
That sounds interesting too. I seem to remember Barry Schwartz
(are you still on, Barry ?) having trouble with using one vendors
FI setup on another motor (If I remember right he has Chevy TBI on
his ford V6 spit). I think he had to get a custom
programmed ECU or something, because although the motors were
similar displacement, the ideal timing/mixture etc curves
for one were not that good for the other. If you have the ability
to reprogram the escort system, it's probably not an issue. Or getting
the spitfire cam reground to be a simlar profile to the escort might
also work. In any case, I'd be interested to hear how it turns out,
and what effects it has on power and mileage.
There is a DIY EFI mailing list out there that seemed to have a lot
of technical knowledge, although mostly oriented toward american
V8 systems. (I don't have the URL off hand, but you should
be able to find it with google or your favorite search engine)

Tony Gordon wrote:
> On the tank question -- I've just converted a US-spec TR6 to Lucas PI (as
> originally fitted in the UK), but the tank does not have the UK-fitted
> swirl pot.  There are a number of ways of overcoming the problem that you
> are encountering (including fitting a swirl pot in the tank -- many buck$
> however).
What exactly is a swirl pot ?

[... nifty sollution using a weed wacker tank snipped ...]

--
Reed Mideke                  rfm(at)collectivecomputing.com
If that doesn't work:        rfm(at)portalofevil.com