Rear Hub Woes

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear Hub Woes
From: "david_schenck" <david_schenck@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 18:20:18 -0400
List,

I have removed the rear axles and uprights.  I can't get the hubs off the
spline.  I see in the Haynes manual there is some special tool. I called the
local British car place and they said it would be $375 (just labor) to
rebuild the axles.  They would pull off the hubs, bearings, etc. and press
new ones in and reassemble.  That is a little high for my Spitfire budget.
Is there an easy way to remove the rear hub?  Has anyone done this and been
sucessful?  If all else fails I will just clean everything up and reinstall
and wait till I have the extra cash sitting around.