Re: GT6 carb problems?

To: John Goethert <john@triumphspitfire.com>
Subject: Re: GT6 carb problems?
From: mark holbrook <rolling_rock_12@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 15:22:57 -0700 (PDT)
If the car is not mis-firing then we should first
assume that it is not the ignition.  This sounds like
a fuel problem.  I would check and replace the fuel
filter.  Check the lines for dirt and make sure they
are not blocked.  Next look at the fuel pump.  I'm not
sure about the year of your car but my GT6 has a clear
pump so I can see if there is a block.  If the pump
isn't clear then I would say take it off.  Inside the
pump look for a screen which is like a filter.  Clean
this off well.  If the internal of the pump looks good
then I would say put it back on.  I can't think of a
way to test a mech. fuel pump very well.  Last check
the carbs for crushed lines and they may need a
rebuild.  Take off the bottom bowl and look to see if
the gas is clean, this will help with the idea that
there is a block and gas is getting sludged up.  After
all that, I'm not sure what to say.  All I know is
that if the car will not rev, and it's not missing,
then the problem is definatly fuel delivery.
Mark
--- John Goethert <john@triumphspitfire.com> wrote:

> Listers,
> I am having problems with my GT6. I think it is a
> problem with the carbs
> but not sure. The car starts fine with half choke
> and doesn't seem to be
> missing. However, the warmer the car gets, the less
> power it has. When
> warm, it almost won't go over 2500 rpm no matter how
> much or little gas I
> give it. Acts like it is getting too much gas. The
> only thing I have
> checked are the spark plugs so far. The front 3
> plugs are nice & brown like
> they are supposed to be. The back 3 have no deposits
> of any kind. Cleaned
> them and got the same results.
> Any ideas? Anyone had the same problem?
>
> John Goethert
> Knoxville, Tennessee
> john@triumphspitfire.com
> 76 Spitfire, 71 GT6, 75 Spit parts car, 90 Miata

=====
-Mark Holbrook-

http://mail.yahoo.com/