Which Ignition coil & spinning distributors..!!

To: spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Which Ignition coil & spinning distributors..!!
From: "T. .R. Dafforn" <td214@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 12:43:46 +0100
I order to rule out all possible factors as per why sophie pops and
'kangeroos' when warm, I decided to change all bits of the ignition (the
stuff which is on the car currently is of indeterminant age and quality
Anyhow before doing this I ran the car to temperature just to check the
temperature sensor (another story).
As I was running it I heard a rather unhealthy grinding noise then
normal tappety engine noise, another grinding noise, and the distributor
spun in its seat, and the car stopped.... Well frightening...
Investigations shows that the screw holding the condensor to the
baseplate had come loose and jammed between the distributor shaft and
the body... Stripped down the distributor, no damage except for a
knarled screw. replaced the condensor and scew, and things seem fine.
Should I be worried about any lasting damage?
Also I was going to replace the coil, and so have bought the one listed
at the part store (1975 1500 - 6v coil)...
However i have noticed that the one I am currently running  is a 12v
coil. SO I guess I have no Ballast resisitor and hence a 12v coil...
is this right?
As to the Kangerooing, I found the manifold bolts were only finger
tight!! So have tightened them and retuned and will see what its like
tonight!
cheers
Tim

--