Hurumph in the right rear wheel

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Hurumph in the right rear wheel
From: Jeff Gruber <jgruber@demainsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 09:00:36 -0500
Dudes,
   I took my newly acquired 77 Spit to the store for tires.  (Thanks to
those who helped me determine a good tire size.)  It now has four nice, new
175/70s and a noise coming from the right rear wheel.  Hurumph, hurumph,
hurumph, hurumph, hurumph, hurumph, as I drive down the road.

   And it seems to be getting worse each time.

   Keep in mind that before I bought this car, the most I knew about
British sports cars, was that I wanted one.

   When they put the car on the lift to change the tires, the rear wheels
drooped.  Are they supposed to do that?  When they change the tires are
they supposed to do anything special to support the wheels or anything like
that?

   Any ideas what the hurumph is?

Thanks.

PS  The hurumph does increase with the speed of the car, but it goes away
when you coast with the engine disengaged.