Re: Zenith carbs mixture adjustment?

To: "spitfirest@autox.team.net" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Zenith carbs mixture adjustment?
From: "Mike Ross" <mikeross@Prodigy.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 21:17:53 -0400
Tony,

You were right!  I apologize for indicating that the Mk2 GT6 had the ZS carb
with the adjusting screw underneath.  I assumed it did since the slotted
plug looked like the diagram in the manual, and when I tried to use the
"special tool",  which I had for another car, I couldn't get it to turn.

I disassembled the cover and removed the air valve.  I sprayed the area
around the needle and down the dashpot opening with some WD-40 like fluid
used to release rusted nuts and bolts.  After a few minutes I was able to
turn the allen wrench and get the needle to move up and down.

Now that I can properly adjust the mixture I need to solve another problem;
one of the carbs is leaking fuel.  Looks like I'll need to completely
disassemble and check the float.

Thanks for your help,

Mike Ross
'67 Spitfire (soon to be a Spit 6)