Rear wheel bearing end play

To: Spitfires Digest <spitfires-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear wheel bearing end play
From: LT <llst@telus.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 00:34:23 -0700
I have started reassembling my 67 MK 2 project (bought it as a parts car
but?) and noted some end play (1/32 of an inch or thereabouts) on  the
right rear wheel bearing as well as some oil on the pads and drum. After
struggling with the hub for most of the night, I was finally able to get
to the bearing. I found a few things that I do not really understand.
The outer race of the outer bearing fits loosely enough into the inner
hub such that it can be spun around however there is no sign that the
outer race has spun in the hub. Is this normal?
After cleaning the outer bearing, there seams to be about as much
sideways play between the inner and outer races as I noticed before
disassembly of the hub . Is this normal or is the bearing worn?
Also, when I reassemble the hub, there does not appear to be anything to
stop the bearing from being driven further onto the axle than is
required other than the flinger. Should I drive the bearing on most of
the way and then tighten down the hub nut to get the bearing to the
right position?
The nightly project came to an early end as I looked for a reasonably
sized bandaid to stop the flow of blood from the edge of my thumb which
I sliced against the keyway. Any comments (on the bearing problem) would
be appreciated.

Larry Ternowski
Surrey BC