SU needles

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: SU needles
From: "Ron Roach" <rroach@direct.ca>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 06:22:45 -0700
Hey all, I'm trying to get my '78 spit ready for a smog test soon, so I
ordered a set of ADN needles(which were the latest needles put into the twin
carb UK spit 1500's), and had the collars ground off so they would fit my
earlier "non waxstat" 1 1/2 carbs.  Well, it idles great, which is what I
need to get it to pass, but it's hesitating at mid-throttle considerably.
The needles I had in previously(ABT's) were the needles used on earlier UK
1500's, but they were too rich for me to get a decent idle and the car
failed with those.  And even with those needles, there was a hestation at
mid throttle, but less so?
So I know that I can find a needle that is as lean as the ADN's, and richer
at part thottle, but why am I having this problem?  I live at sea level,
like the UK spits, timing is 14 BTDC(which I'll retard to 10 or a little
less for the test), stock exhaust.  I know that the euro spits ran 9:1 comp.
compared to my 7.5:1, but could that make much of a difference?  I'm stumped
on this one, and would to avoid having to order a bunch of needles...

Thanks for any ideas,

ron            '78 1500 w/twin HS4's