from Forbes Magazine.

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: from Forbes Magazine.
From: Thearthurhsmith@cs.com
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 14:23:47 EDT
About Keith Helfet the designer of the Jaguar F-type.

He wound up in a mechanical engineering program at the University of Cape
Town, but he spent more time surfing and drinking than studying. "I was a
waste of space," he recalls.

Instead of working on his thesis, Keith spent most of two years holed up in
the family garage, stripping the body off a Triumph Spitfire and building a
new shell from scratch, using foam and 700 pounds of plaster of paris. This,
too, failed to inspire widespread admiration." The general feeling was that I
was a harmless lunatic," says Keith.