eBay's disregard for the dead

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: eBay's disregard for the dead
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 16:34:40 -0700
You may recall from several days ago that I had left a negative feedback
comment on eBay after a seller of some Spitfire parts neglected to fulfill
our transaction.  I subsequently learned when I received my uncashed check
and a hand-written note from the man's widow in the mail (along with his
mass card), that he had been killed by a drunken driver three days after the
auction closed.  Fellow lister Nolan Penny suggested that I seek to have the
negative feedback comment removed, which seemed like an almost pointless
exercise since the seller has passed away, but I made the attempt
regardless, just to ease my own mind.

Here's the response I got back from those compassionate souls at eBay today:

"I was very saddened to read your email.  Yours is a truly unique
situation, and I wish I had better news for you.  Unfortunately we will
not be able to remove this feedback comment as it does not fall within
our policy guidelines for removal."

I wrote back and said that perhaps they could re-examine their "policy
guidelines" as they pertain to special circumstances such as these.

Best wishes,

Jeff in San Diego

'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
home of the NEW Totally Triumph Auction
and... The Triumph Autos/Parts Wanted Listings
http://www.ohms.com/cgi-bin/TRwanted.cgi
...plus a few other surprises!