Re: 1975 1500 Rebuild time

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 1975 1500 Rebuild time
From: "Michael Hightower" <mphtower@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 20:13:59 -0400
Hi Jeff,

  I'm pretty new to the list, but I have a modified 1500 Spitfire.  Here's
what it is equiped with:

.020" overbore
Stage II cam (don't know what the profile is for that)
Ported/polished head
Some sort of nice intake manifold (may be Edelbrock, believe it or not)
Weber DGAV, perhaps 34/36, or maybe a 32/36?  I'll find out if you like
Headers into a 4-collector onto a straight pipe to a wide-open four-pipe
exhaust, no cat
Some sort of high-performance ignition system

The previous owner made these mods which is why I don't know what some of
them are.  However, I can say that the performance is astonishing.  I'm
still working on a few things, and I need to re-jet the carb, but it
currently does 0-60 in about 10 seconds, and I can probably get that down a
bit with re-jetting.

The disadvantage is that oil pressure is much higher now, but I've found
that using an MG B-series motor's vented oil filler cap solves that problem.
You may have to build a springy device to hold the cap in place.

Reliability seems to be fine, and I have no problems on steep grades, and am
able to pass all of the bumblebee Hondas (you know, the ones with the
exhaust that sounds like a bumblebee?).

If you want more details, let me know and I'll try to figure this stuff out
more.  Currently, the suspension is my big project now that the oil problem
has been resolved.

- Mike Hightower