Spit MKIII Brake Lights problem (longish)

To: "Spitfires List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Spit MKIII Brake Lights problem (longish)
From: "Stephane St-Amant" <steph71tr6@crosswinds.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 09:57:44 -0400
Hello everyone,

Now that I'm back from our honeymoon, I have finally some time to work on
the Spit.

Sunday, I decided to tackle the electrical system.  More precisely, the
lights all around the car.
- Headlight?  Check
- High Beams? Check
- Rear Parking Lights?  Check
- Blinkers?  Nope, Flasher unit need to be replaced
- Backup lights? Nope, both bulbs are blown, will replace

Now, here's where I'm stumped (I check the archives but coudn't find
anything similar)
- Brake Light? Nope
- Check the light bulds - Look OK
- Clean the connections
- Test - Works... Try again, don't work...Hummm
- Get my trusty voltmeter (about 20 years old - never failed me.
- Check the current at the socket - Pedal released: 0 volt, Pedal Pressed:
12 volt - Good
- Put the light back in and test: Not working
- Check for continuity  in the bulb (with the voltmeter/tester): OK   Double
Hummmmm
- Put the bulb in 180 degree turn and turn the parking lights on: the brake
filament is on (Now I really know that the bulb is fine.
- Put the bulb in the right way again: Parking light work, brakes light
don't!!!  DARN
- Test the connection with the voltmeter WITH the light bulb in the socket
and press the brake pedal: NOTHING!  That's weird!

(Let's double check this one!!!)
- Pull the bulb out, press the brake pedal, check voltage: 12 volts
- Put the bulb back in, press the brake pedal, check voltage: 0 volts

Any idea???

TIA
Steph
'69 Spit - Hers (With brake lights from the Outer Limits!!!)
'71 TR6 - Mine (Awaiting patiently in pieces!)