Front-end vibration frustration

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Front-end vibration frustration
From: Kevin Rhodes <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 16:36:27 -0400
Hey Gang,

I could use some advice on figuring out why Freddy has a persistent front
end shimmy. He's a 77 chassis, though currently fitted with UK spec front
springs and Koni's (adjusted about halfway). I start to get the shimmy at
about 50mph - it is odd in that it is a distinctly side to side shaking -
not at all what you get from an out of balance tire. This is a strong
shaking of the whole front of the car. It reaches a peak at ~75mph, though
it is fairly cyclical in nature. When it smooths out, a good bump at
highway speed will set it off again immediately. There is no play or
looseness in the front end that I can find, the alignment is recent and no
odd tire wear. The tires are new, in fact three different sets of tires and
two sets of wheels have had no effect - it has done this as long as I have
had the car. Rotating the wheels makes no difference, so I don't think it
is a bent wheel. The steering rack mounts, column bushings and U-joint are
all new - no effect. The front suspension was totally rebuilt 4-5K before I
bought the car, and I have put 8-9K on since.

Any and all advise welcome before I shell out $$$ for all new front end
bushings etc..

Kevin Rhodes
Freddy the shaky Spit