Re: Front-end vibration frustration

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, krhodes1@maine.rr.com
Subject: Re: Front-end vibration frustration
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 09:18:03 -0400
It sounds like you've covered the front end pretty well.  So are you sure the
problem really is in the front?
I'm wondering if you've got a problem out back, say with worn trunions there,
that causes the front to
wag.

Oh, I was gradually chasing a vibration in the front of my wifes Volvo
recently.  Kinda transient, like an
out of balance tire, but the wheels were balanced.  Replaced the brake rotors
for separate reasons,
and the vibration promptly disapeared.  Doubt this will happen with the solid
rotors a Spitfire uses.  I
suspect rust in the vents caused the imbalance I got.  But it's an example of
the problem coming from
outside the box of expected areas.  Also had a severe front end shake and turn
in a Honda caused by
a slightly worn inner CV joint of all things (darn thing would rip the steering
wheel out of your hands).