Re: Tech Question

To: "BILL McDEVITT" <wmmk1@informatics.net>
Subject: Re: Tech Question
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 11:56:31 +0100
Hi Bill
I have this same thing happen though not to this extreme on my 2000 sedan,
it will idle at about 800 one time and the next time low enough to stall if
you don't catch it. The problem on mine is the carb spindles,(Strombergs)
when they wear they allow the throttle stop screws to make contact at a
slightly different place depending on how the throttle is closed, I have
found that if the throttle is blipped momentarily and allowed to snap closed
I get a consistent tick over. If the carb /carbs on the vehicle in question
are SU's, do they have the poppet valves in the butterfly, this is another
thing that will cause the problem and also will stabilise if the throttle is
allowed to snap closed, the trick with those is to solder them up, I usually
remove the whole lot, cut off the poppet valve assembly then flow solder
over the hole using a ceramic heat shield as a base to support the solder
whilst it cools, the other solution would be to replace the butterflies with
ones that don't have the poppet valve.
I am going to renew mine one of these days, probably the one when the sun
shines both sides of the hedge!!!!

Graham.
2.5 PI MKII
Sprinted Dolomite