Re: Tech Question

To: wmmk1@informatics.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tech Question
From: "Dean Dashwood" <Dean.Dashwood@enron.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 13:37:39 +0100

I have a similar problem on my car.  Patrick and Graham both said that if you
blip the throttle, it will close properly, and stay closed, and I've found this,
too.

Graham suggested it might be related to carbs.  But I believe the problem on my
car is actually due to a missing throttle return spring.  This is on a UK spec
1500, with twin HS4s.  The throttle return takes the form of 4 springs:  one on
the accelerator peddle and two from the top of the throttle linkages to the
inlet manifold - these are all present and correct.

The fourth one is missing from a lot of cars I've seen, including mine - it
connects the bottom of the throttle linkage to one of several places depending
on the model - suspension turret on early 1500s, a bracket mounted on the lower
part of the exhaust manifold, near the downpipe, on late 1500s, and I can't
remember where it connects to on earlier cars.  The only place I have seen this
fully described is in the Moss parts catalogue.  The spring and linkage both
seem to be made from unobtainium.  I've considered finding an appropriate spring
in a hardware store, and using a piece of bent coat hanger for the linkage, but
haven't got round to it yet.

Hope that helps.  If you manage to resolve this, please report back!

Dean

PS - I believe the manual specifies that the correct idle speed is 700-900rpm -
can't remember exactly, but 1100-1200 seems a little high.  If this car idles
rough at 800, there might be another problem.  Mine idles fine at 750 after I
blip the throttle.