Re: valve cover gasket replacement

To: "Jeff Gruber" <jgruber@demainsoft.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: valve cover gasket replacement
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 13:30:34 -0700
Jeff,

If it's made of rubberized cork, make certain that it hasn't shrunk!!  That
happened to me.  I learned the hard way when I discovered that it was about
1/4" too short after I had already applied goop to the valve cover to hold
it on.

Simply soak it in water for awhile to re-expand it to the proper dimensions
before fitting if that is the case.  Some use nothing but grease to attach
the gasket to the valve cover and swear by this method.  I prefer to use a
silicone gasket sealer.  You should NOT need to use any kind of sealer on
the portion of the gasket that comes in contact with the cylinder head --
just the valve cover side.

Best wishes,

Jeff in San Diego

'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
home of the NEW Totally Triumph Auction
and... The Triumph Autos/Parts Wanted Listings
http://www.ohms.com/cgi-bin/TRwanted.cgi
The Vintage Spitfire Forum -- moderated and friendly
http://www.ohms.com/cgi-bin/spitforum.cgi
...plus a few other surprises!