Re: Rimmer stianless stell header

To: "Dave Chu" <dave@ece.concordia.ca>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rimmer stianless stell header
From: "Patrick Barber" <patbarber@home.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 21:37:40 -0400
Dave,
I have ordered the three piece header from rimmer bros.   I did have some
trouble fitting the header.  It interfered in to locations. The first
interference point was were the upper y-pipe collectors are formed. There
was a little contact between the 1-4 y-pipe and 2-3 y-pipe. I used a hammer
to flatten the interface between these two y-pipes.  You may or may not have
a problem with this. I think that this problem was mainly due to
manufacturing variability.

The second, bigger issue was that the cylinder 2-3 y-pipe interfered with
the intake maifold.  The system was designed for primary use with SU HS4's
not Stromberg CD150.  The cross-over tube contacted the exhaust manifold and
prevented the intake manifold from sealing properly.  I ended up getting
another intake manifold, grinding away the material on the cross-over tube
to make it fit.  In the process, I lost the ability to use the coolant line
which passes through the intake manifold.  I had to install a separate
cooling line external to the intake manifold.

Good luck!!

Patrick Barber, Allen Park, MI
70 Spitfire MkIII FDU89984L