RE: Dip Stick

To: "'Mike Welch'" <mikew@turbopower.com>,
Subject: RE: Dip Stick
From: Craig Smith <CraigS@iewc.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 07:12:34 -0500
71 Spit
I have started having oil leaks, I know, I know...
Let me say, More than usual !
I have had a total rebuild, I have roughly 500 miles on the new build.
I developed a leak right behind the drivers side motor mount. It's located
right at the location of the screw for the timing cover.
I have replaced the screw with a through bolt and washer. Still leaks.
It might be a crack in the mounting plated, the thing with the motor
mounting legs. I also noticed a leak around the pedestal for the dizzy. It's
not coming from the pedestal but the oil is ON the pedestal. It seems to be
coming from the bottom of the dizzy.
I asked the dip stick question thinking that I have to much oil in the case
but I don't.

The leaks could be due to my being stupid and not replacing the oil pressure
spring during the rebuild. But I have 20 lbs. of pressure @ 4,000 RPM while
the engine is hot.

What's the problem ????