Re: Spit hard to start

To: "Stephane St-Amant" <steph71tr6@crosswinds.net>,
Subject: Re: Spit hard to start
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 07:54:29 -0700
Steph,

Change the points, plugs, cap, rotor and condensor with all new parts --
it's long overdue.  Then set the timing correctly.  Replace your fuel
filters if you have any and look into your gas tank for rust and debris.  If
the gas tank looks clean, install an inline filter anyway, just before your
fuel pump.  Pour a bottle of Gumout in your gas tank and drive that puppy
around.  Hey, you might as well do things right while you're tuning the
engine.  Adjust the valves while the engine is cold and change the oil, too.
Based on my personal experience I'd suggest 20w50.  So long as your engine
is sound, if you follow these steps, your car should pur like a kitten
provided that your carbs don't require a rebuild.  If you've got dual SU's,
make certain that you balance them after doing everything else first.  Good
luck.

Best wishes,

Jeff in San Diego

'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
home of the NEW Totally Triumph Auction
and... The Triumph Autos/Parts Wanted Listings
http://www.ohms.com/cgi-bin/TRwanted.cgi
The Vintage Spitfire Forum -- moderated and friendly
http://www.ohms.com/cgi-bin/spitforum.cgi
...plus a few other surprises!