Re: Murphy Oil Soap Debate

To: HD883HUGGR@aol.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Murphy Oil Soap Debate
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 14:04:23 -0400
Um, er, I've been conducting extensive "testing" these past several weeks on
the paint I washed with Murphy Oil
Soap. It's been sitting in the sun and various weather with no follow up.  Yea,
that's why I haven't bothered to go
any further :-)

So far, it seems fine.  I had washed just a portion of the car with it the last
time I posted because I was washing
cars (a bi-annual process for me), and included the Spitifre in the process.  I
quit at the end of the day, and never
got back to it.  The paint still looks good where the Murphys was used.  It's
clean there, shiny, no indications of
chemical track marks or strange drying events.  It's good enough that when (ok,
if) I ever get back to finishing the
job, I plan to use Murphy's on the rest of the car.  I'll probably even use it
on the rather faded and dry looking
truck.

Btw, I'm also a big fan of Maguires products.  I've loved their consumer brand
"Deep Crystal", particularly the
polish.  It isn't a polish in the abrasive sense, it's paint oil.  Works
wonders, especially on darker colors.  I also tried
their latest wiz bang liquid wax that costs about $9 a bottle.  Liked that too.
 Went on nicely, buffed off nicely, and
makes my wives red car look superb.

No claims whatsoever at car finish care.  Just a lazy guy who likes a car to
look ok without having to sweat.

>>> <HD883HUGGR@aol.com> 08/21 12:54 PM >>>

Say, I just washed Hobbs yesterday and noticed the paint is "dry" -- at least
4 year old Maaco job (DPO) in sunny Arizona, so I don't expect much out of it
anyway.  Got a new TurtleWax "Extreme" cleaner/conditioner/wax to try, but
figured I'd check with Nolan and everyone else who tried the Murphy's Oil
Soap route to determine if there are any ill effects in the medium-term.
LMK.  Thanks!
Scott (& Hobbs, 77 Spit, who yearns to be truly shiny again)